- Google acquires the assets of the iProvo network
- Provo City retains the obligation to pay off the remaining balance on the sales tax revenue bonds used to finance the original fiber installation
- Google will upgrade network equipment and assets to enable delivery of 1 Gb/second Internet speeds to residences and small businesses in Provo
- All homes passed by the initial iProvo network will be able to connect to the Google Fiber network for a $30 one-time activiation fee
- After connection, residents will be able to choose from one of three levels of service: a free 5 Mb/sec Internet connection for at least seven years; a 1 Gb/sec Internet connection for around $70/month; the 1Gb/sec service plus a high-definintion television package for up to four television sets for around $120/month
- Google will provide 25 locations selected by the City with free 1 Gb/sec service
How to Get Google Fiber
1. The first thing you need to do is go to Google Fiber’s website here »
2. Then enter your address and find out which of the following “fiberhoods” your home is in.
3. When you sign up you will be able to choose from three different options for your Fiber service. Subscriptions to Google Fiber require a credit or debit card. If you do not have a credit or debit card, you can purchase a prepaid debit card to pay for Google Fiber by following these steps here »
4. After you choose your plan, Google Fiber will need to bring a brand new fiber-optic cable directly into your home. They can’t install fiber to everyone in Provo all at once, so they will work in waves. They have already started installing the current Veracity customers who signed up in October. Next they will install the North Park area in February and will finish in the Foothills area hopefully by the end of this year.
If you’re in one of the first fiberhoods, make sure you put your area’s deadline in your calendar:
- North Park – Thursday, February 20
- Downtown Provo – Thursday, March 6
- Pioneer/West Provo – Thursday, March 27
- Grandview – Spring 2014
- North Provo – Summer 2014
- Southeast Provo – Summer 2014
- Foothills – Summer 2014
Make sure you sign up for Fiber before your area’s deadline. Google Fiber doesn’t have current plans to re-open fiberhood sign ups, so make sure you don’t miss your deadline.
If you’re in the Grandview, North Provo, Southeast Provo or the Foothills fiberhoods, Google Fiber is planning to bring Fiber to your area later this spring and summer.
You can also sign up to stay updated by filling out this quick form. Google Fiber will even provide a limited edition Google Fiber mug to express their thanks.
If you have questions please stop by Google Fiber’s Customer Service Center (250 W. Center Street, Provo) or give Google Fiber a call, email or do an online chat with their customer service team.
Learn more »
Learn more »
Learn more »