Police Officer (Lateral Transfers)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$24.15 - $30.16/hr
- Posted Date:03/05/2019
Return to full list >>
Provo Police Officer
Lateral Transfer Appointments
- Lateral transfer candidates must meet the following criteria to be considered for appointment:
- A minimum of two years of certified law enforcement officer experience at the time of application; and
- Currently employed as a certified law enforcement officer, or have been employed as such within the last 18 months; and
- Utah POST law enforcement officer certification or qualify to be certified as such.
- Lateral appointees are classified as a Police Officer II at the time of hire and will be hired at an hourly rate equivalent to their years of qualified law enforcement experience as follows:
- 2 Years: $24.15 per hour
- 3 Years: $24.75 per hour
- 4 Years: $25.37 per hour
- 5 Years: $26.00 per hour
- 6 Years: $26.65 per hour
- 7 Years: $27.32 per hour
- 8 Years: $28.70 per hour
- 9 Years: $29.42 per hour
- 10+ Years:$30.16 per hour
- Lateral appointees receive a $5,000 signing bonus ($2,000 payable at start of employment and $3,000 payable upon completion of the one-year probationary period).
- Classification Specifications
- Lateral appointees may advance further through the Police Officer career series after completion of the one-year probationary period and upon meeting the established advancement criteria.
- Advancement Criteria from Officer II to Senior Officer(Range maximum $31.66 per hour)
- Advancement Criteria from Senior Officer to Master Officer(Range maximum $34.91 per hour)
- Medical, dental, life, and LTD insurance plans, retirement plans, employee assistance and wellness programs, and sick, vacation and holiday leaves. Optional plans available include:health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, vision and AD&D insurance, legal assistance, home and auto insurance, ID theft protection, supplemental medical insurance, and deferred compensation (401k, 457 & IRA) plans.
- Provo City will certify a list of lateral transfer candidates at the beginning of each month depending on the number of candidates. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be invited to take the Provo City Police Officer Lateral Transfer Exam. Applicants who score at least 80% on the exam will be advanced to a Command Staff Interview. Applicants will subsequently be ranked on the lateral transfer eligibility list based on the combined scores of the exam and interview.
- Offers of employment are conditional pending completion of a background investigation, a psychological examination, polygraph, and meeting minimum physical standards set by POST.