Technical Support Specialist I/II
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$41,270 - $62,723 annually
- Posted Date:07/31/2019
TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST I/II
(Information Systems Technician)
Information Systems Division/Administrative Services Department
Full-time Regular Position
Posted: July 31, 2019
Essential Duties: The Information Systems Division of Provo City Corporation is looking for an experienced Technical Support Technician to fill a critical internal support desk role. The successful applicant must be a customer service and technology support expert who is motivated by a fast paced, dynamic environment. The Technical Support Specialist will be responsible to:
• Perform desktop support activities utilizing tools such as imaging, automated software distribution and automated patch management.
• Deploy Windows workstations and install various city-approved software applications.
• Track and monitor all support requests to insure timely resolution.
• Recommend and schedule repairs/purchases for computer hardware and software.
• Provide end user support and training for desktop and network applications.
• Install and configure workstations and accounts.
• Responsible for hardware and software inventory from cradle to grave.
• Required to be familiar with a variety of the IT field concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Create documentation, work instructions and procedures to perform the functions of the job.
• Provide basic instructions to users on software and computer utilization and on department procedures and operations.
• Analyze and troubleshoot both software and hardware specific problems including detecting and removing viruses, spyware, and other malware.
• Analyze and determine needs for PC hardware, software, and other equipment and coordinate with vendors for pricing, ordering, and delivery of equipment or materials.
• Facilitate the manufacturer’s warranty service on computers and peripherals.
• Assist other staff members as needed, and perform other related duties as required.
• High school diploma required. IT experience, certifications and/or some college preferred.
• Excellent working knowledge of Windows Operating Systems, MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, MS Project), and service desk incident response processes/procedures.
• Preference will be given to those with skills supporting the following technology areas: Sophos, Landesk, HP Desktops & Laptops, MS Server and other advanced technologies.
• Fluency in English is essential; additional language skills would be an advantage.
• Strong interpersonal skills with an approachable personality with professional customer service focus.
• Ability to deal effectively in all business relationships while projecting a positive image of the City.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting multiple deadlines.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Capable of working independently and as part of a team and ability to work under pressure.
License: Valid, lawful driver’s license is required at time of appointment. Applicant may be disqualified on the basis of an unacceptable driving record as reflected by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Salary: IS Technician I: $41,270 - $56,891 annually (Range 24); IS Technician II: $45,500 - $62,723 annually (Range 26). Payment will be made by direct deposit and position includes a full benefits package, including medical, dental, life, and LTD insurance plans, retirement plans, employee assistance and wellness programs, and sick, vacation, and holiday leaves. Optional plans available include: health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, vision and AD&D insurance, legal assistance, home and auto insurance, ID theft protection, supplemental medical insurance, and deferred compensation (401k, 457 & IRA) plans. Overtime will regularly be accrued as compensatory time.
Selection Factors: Knowledge of principles/practices of computer operation, communications, and programming; PC/LAN application software including browsers, word processing, and spreadsheets; knowledge of related laws, codes, rules and regulations governing computer functions; strong English composition, spelling, and grammar; Skill in performing duties in a manner that demonstrates respect, integrity, courtesy, and kindness towards fellow workers, customers, and the general public; understand and follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other departments, staff, and the public; and explain technical material in lay terms. Preference will be given to those with advanced skills supporting MS Office, Sophos, Ivanti LANDesk, HP Desktops & Laptops, and MS Server and other MS technologies.
Screening: Based on meeting the minimum requirements and job-related experience, skills, knowledge, and education. Criminal background checks are conducted on all City positions. Non-disclosure may result in dismissal.
Physical/Environmental Factors: This position requires lifting up to 30 pounds, frequent walking to various work stations, sitting at a computer for extended periods of time; exposure to computers, electronics, and electrical devices, etc., and high stress situations or environments, i.e. teaching groups of employees, meeting deadlines, etc.
Pre-Employment Testing: Prior to appointment, applicant will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and background investigation. Individuals with unsatisfactory drug screen results will be ineligible for appointment or application to any Provo City position for a minimum period of six (6) months.
To Apply: Apply online at www.provocity.jobs or at the Provo City Division of Human Resources located at 351 West Center, Provo, UT before 6:00 PM on the closing date.
Closing Date: Open until filled.