Snow plow drivers sometimes face obstacles that make their work more difficult. There are many things we can do as residents to help them be more effective. For example, when you see a snow plow, remember that the driver is in a large truck that is difficult to maneuver and may have less traction than you have in your car. Give the truck room to remove the snow. Passing the snow plow on a hill can be dangerous.Here are some other ways to help:
- Park cars in the driveway and not on the street.
- Remove parked disabled cars and basketball stands from the street before winter.
- Set garbage and recycling containers close to the curb and remove them from the street as soon as possible after they are serviced.
- As a reminder, clear sidewalks with one inch or more of snow within 24 hours.
- Clear driveway and sidewalk snow onto your property instead of the road to improve safety for everyone.
- Something I hadn’t realized before is that even though we call it snow removal, we can’t really remove the snow. The most we can do is move it. That’s a reality we all face. By working together, we increase not only the effectiveness of the crew, but also the safety of everyone who travels our roads and sidewalks.
- If you have any questions, concerns, or complaints about snow removal, call 801-852-6000 or 311 or complete our service request form and we will get in touch with you.
Second, the Alert Phase. When snow starts to accumulate, the Streets Maintenance on-call Supervisor notifies the snow plow drivers of the need to report to work.
Fourth, the Next Day Phase. The day after the storm, the Streets Maintenance's responsibilities include clearing cul-de-sacs & business areas.
It takes a minimum of three hours to sand/salt the collector streets. The snow removal crew continues working on the collector streets until the snow storm ends.
In an average winter, the city uses 1,500 tons of salt on its streets.
A new snow plow truck with a sander/salt spreader is approximately $200,000 and is typically kept for 12-15 years before it is replaced.
Learn more »