Do I need to license my bike?

Anyone who rides there bike in the city of Provo needs to register their bicycle. Residents and non-residents alike, the only requirement is the bike will be used inside of Provo City Limits.

How much is a bicycle license?

The cost for a bicycle license is $1 per bike.

Where do I get a bicycle License

Bicycle licenses are available at the Provo City Center Building located at 351 W Center ST. You can fill out the application beforehand by downloading it here.

Bicycle License Form »

Are Business Licenses Transferable?

A Provo City Business License cannot be transferred from one person to another. When a change of ownership takes place, a new license must be obtained through Customer Service. If the business location is changing, the business owner will need to complete a Business Location Change application and comply with the specified requirements.

Do I Need A Business License?

Whether you are operating in a commercial location or from a home, if you are doing any of the following you need a business license:
  • Keeping, conducting, or maintaining a rental dwelling, a mobile home rental dwelling, or a mobile home park
  • Distributing tangible personal property at a retail or wholesale
  • Distributing goods, or providing services to others for payment or reward, including: retail merchants, some day care providers, restaurants and food trucks, persons engaged in trades and crafts, professionals, including doctors, lawyers, accountants and dentists, contractors, banks, savings and loan associations, and real estate agents.
Employees working for an employer are usually not required to obtain their own business license. State licensed contractors only need to be licensed in the city where they have an office, including a home based office.

How Can I Speed Up the Process?

The best ways to make sure the process flows as smoothly and quickly as possible are:

  • Check Before You Apply and Business License Requirements and become familiar with all steps necessary for your type of business before you fill out an application
  • Fill out the application accurately, completely, and as clearly as possible, providing a very detailed description of type of business
  • Work with departments to fulfill requirements and schedule inspections
  • If your business requires a Health Department inspection, begin the process about a week before beginning the license process with Provo. 

How Do I Get a Business License?

We want your experience with Business Licensing to be as smooth as possible.  Please check Before You Apply and Business License Requirements for additional steps, not listed below, you may need to take before turning in your application. When you're ready to turn in your application, please bring documentation of all steps completed with the state and/or county as well as a valid government issued ID, and fee payment, to the Business Licensing Department. Please note that you will be assessed a non-refundable licensing fee at the time of application. The Business Licensing Department is located at Customer Service at the City Center Building (North Entrance). Customer Service office hours are M-F 8 AM-6 PM. To contact Customer Service call 311 if you are within Provo city limits, or (801) 852-6000 if you are not. 

To apply for a business license you will need to fill out a business license application. You can pick up and turn in, a paper application for a business license in person at customer service or business licensing.  Information packets related to licensing requirements are also available for pick up along with an application. You can also fill out a business license application online here.  Please be sure to include a valid e-mail address on your application, and review your completed application for accuracy. After filling out your application online, print the competed application and bring it to the Business Licensing Department along with your ID, fee payment, and any other required documentation.

Does your business handle alcohol? Check our Beer License page for information related to obtaining a beer license. You can find a beer license application hereThe license may be filled out online, printed, and turned in with all other applications and paperwork. 

The following businesses have additional requirements. If your business is related to these categories, please read the code pertaining to your business. 

If you have questions related to the licensing process please contact Jessy Antonino at  Licensing@provo.org or by phone at (801) 852-7834

How Much Does It Cost?

To find fees associated with your business, including inspection fees (you may have more than one fee), see "business licensing" on the Provo Consolidated Fee Schedule.

What Happens After I Turn in the application?

After we receive your application it will be reviewed for completion and accuracy. Next, we determine if any additional licenses and/or inspections are required. Your application will then either be approved, or sent to the right departments for additional review. You will be contacted if an inspection needs to be scheduled or if more information is needed. 

What if my Business Closes or Moves out of Provo?

If your business status changes, please notify the business license department using one of the following methods:

  • Email: Send the business name, license number, address, and date of closure to licensing@provo.org
  • In person: Pick up a business license renewal form from Customer Service or the Business License Department (located in Customer Service). Complete the "Status Change" section and return it to the Business License department between M-F 8 AM-5 PM

Business Licensing/Customer Service 

City Center Building (North Entrance)

351 W Center ST

Provo, Utah 84601

  • Mail: Send a letter which includes the business name, license number, address and date of closure to:

Provo City Corp

Attn: Business Licensing

351 W Center ST

Provo, UT 84601

When Does my License Expire? How do I Renew?

See statement on Business licensing on Home page.

Where Can I get a List of Existing Businesses in Provo?

You can find a list of some businesses in Provo in the Business Directory. After your business license is approved and you're ready for business, you can add your business to the list. 

Where Do I Start?

Why Should I Get a License?

Most importantly, you should obtain a business license before conducting any business in Provo because a valid license is required by local and state law. States and municipalities require businesses to be licensed in order to protect the consumer, the community, and the business owner. The licensing process aims to help the business owner comply with local and state regulations, and to make sure the business is operating safely. For example, the fire department ensures safe conditions such as having enough emergency exits and fire extinguishers, and public works will inspect businesses to make sure contaminants aren't released into our public water.

Will I Need a Background Check?

A background check must be performed by the Provo Police Department as part of the business license process if your business requires a beer license. A background check waiver is included in the application packet you receive through business licensing. This form authorizes the Provo Police Department to conduct a background check for you. Turn this form in along with all other applicable forms included with your application, to the Business Licensing Department. 

A background check is also required for the following types of businesses:

  • Towing
  • Locksmith
  • Taxi
  • Door to Door Solicitor
  • Sexually Oriented Businesses and Their Employees

However, these background checks are done through the Utah Department of Public Safety (UDPS), or, you can request one from the Police Records Department by calling (801) 852-6231. A letter from the UDPS or Provo Police Records certifying the background check results must be provided with the completed application as proof of clearance. Expect this process to take 1-2 weeks if you send your request by mail, and about 20 minutes if you apply in person at the UDPS Taylorsville location. The cost through UDPS is $15, or $10 if through Provo Police.

Will I Need an Inspection?

Health Department: Contact the Utah County Health Department if your business:

  • Sells, handles, or prepares food, including: restaurants, gas stations, concession stands, snow cones, food trucks, etc. 
  • Produces body art (permanent make up and tattoos)
  • Has a tanning bed
  • Has any size or type of pool
  • Is a daycare or school which prepares or serves food
  • Handles alcohol

Obtaining a permit or license from the health department generally takes two weeks. Consider beginning this process well before contacting Provo for a business license. A business license cannot be given until a required health permit is obtained. A lot of information related to necessary health permits and inspections can be found on the Utah County Health Department's Environmental Health website. Some information related to fees can be found here

Fire: The fire department will schedule an inspection for all restaurants, and other businesses if a review of the application indicates possible public safety or fire hazards. 

Public Works: A public works inspection will be scheduled for any business with possible risks associated with the water systems. 

Department of Agriculture: The Utah Department of Agriculture requires an inspection of any home based food production business (cottage food production) as well as animal, farming, and beekeeping businesses. 



Are there any exceptions?

A license is not required for a dwelling unit, which is ordinarily owner-occupied but is temporarily rented because:
  • The owner is placed in a hospital, nursing home, assisted living facility or other similar facility
  • The owner has a bona fide, temporary absence of three (3) years or less for activities such as temporary job assignments, sabbaticals, or voluntary service. Indefinite periods of absence from the dwelling do not qualify for this exception. (6.26.020)
  • An accessory apartment in an owner-occupied one family dwelling is not deemed a rental dwelling. 

How do I grant someone “Power of Attorney”?

A “Power of Attorney” form can be found on the City’s website. Please read the disclaimer appearing at the top of the form.

How do I license my rental property with Provo City?

A license is issued after the following steps have been completed
  • A complete application has been submitted.
  • Provo City has received payment for the license.
  • The zoning division has reviewed the application.
  • The property has complied with all requirements for a license.

How long is the license valid?

All licenses expire July 31st of each year.

How much does a license cost?

The license fee for one (1) dwelling unit, such as a single condominium or a single family dwelling, is $20.00.

The license fee for more than one (1) dwelling unit is $60.00. A duplex is considered two (2) dwelling units.

I have several rental properties in Provo City; do I need a license for each location?

One license will be issued to each entity, regardless of the number of units owned by that entity.  If a person owns multiple properties which are deeded in separate owner names, LLC’s, or Corporations, each will need to apply for a separate rental license.  (Ex. Joe Smith; Joe & Jane Smith; Smith LLC will each require a separate license.)

If you own rental dwellings in multiple locations, please complete a Property Information Form (this form is part of the application) for each location. If multiple buildings are part of a complex, one Property Information form should be completed for each complex. The zoning review requires information for each building in the complex.

If I have submitted a completed application, made payment, but I haven’t received my license because zoning has not reviewed my application, will I be cited for renting properties without a license?

It may take a few weeks for the zoning division to review your application. Once you have submitted the application and paid the licensing fee, you may request a receipt for confirmation that Provo City has received your application. If violations are found as part of the review process, citations may be issued for those violations if they are not corrected in a timely manner.

Is my license transferable?

Licenses are not transferable. Written notice must be given to the business license official within thirty (30) days after transferring ownership of the property.

What happens if my property does not meet the minimum health/safety and zoning requirements?

If the property does not comply with health/safety codes and zoning codes, you will be given a list of corrections that you can do to bring your property into compliance. Conditions on the property which would pose imminent danger to the health and safety of tenants must be corrected before you will be issued a license.

What is a rental dwelling?

Any building or portion of a building used or designated for use as a residence by one (1) or more persons and is available to be rented, loaned, leased or hired out for a period of one (1) month or longer. A unit that is not owner occupied is considered a rental even if no rental fee is charged or collected.

What is a short-term rental dwelling?

Short-term rental dwelling means a building or portion of a building, or a manufactured home used or designated or designed for use as a residence by one (1) or more persons and is:  (a) available to be rented, loaned, leased or hired out for a period of less than one (1) month; or (b) arranged, designed, or built to be rented, loaned, leased or hired out for a period of less than one (1) month.

What is an entity?

An entity can take the following forms: Corporation, General Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership, and Limited Liability Company or Sole Proprietorship. If you are operating as a sole proprietor using your own name, you do not need to register with the Utah State Division of Commerce. All other entity types, including "Doing Business As (DBA)," must be currently registered with the Utah State Division of Commerce before completing the licensing application.

Where do I submit my application?

Pick up an application at Provo311. Once application is complete it can be submitted at to Provo311.


Provo311 is located at:
351 West Center Street, Provo

Who do I contact to answer my questions about rental dwelling licensing?

For questions regarding zoning and Health/Safety code issues, please call (801) 852-6400.

For information regarding the licensing process and fees, please call (801) 852-6532 or send an email to licensing@provo.org

Who needs to license rental properties with Provo City?

Each entity, person or business, which owns, operates or maintains a rental dwelling within Provo City, must have a rental dwelling business license.

Will I be required to get an inspection for each unit?

An inspection of the property may be required prior to the issuance of a rental license. Information provided on the application will be compared to original approval documents in the zoning office to determine the legal use and occupancy for the rental. Properties that were originally constructed as single family homes and have been converted into two or more units may be inspected.

Will I receive a renewal notice?

Renewal notices will be mailed prior to August 1st . A late fee will be assessed on payments received after August 31st.

Define Sale of Goods or Services?

Means the conduct and agreement of a solicitor and a competent individual in a residence regarding a particular good(s) or service(s) that entitles the consumer to rescind the same within three (3) days under any applicable federal, state, or local law. Chapter 6.09.030(29)

Define Services.

Means those intangible goods or personal benefits offered, provided, or sold to a competent individual of a residence. Chapter 6.09.030(30)

Soliciting or Solicit or Solicitation?

means any of the following activities
  • seeking to obtain sales or orders for the exchange of goods, wares, merchandise, or perishables of any kind, for any kind of remuneration or consideration, regardless of whether advance payment is sought;
  • seeking to obtain prospective customers to apply for or to purchase insurance, subscriptions to publications, or publications;
  • seeking to obtain contributions of money or any other thing of value for the benefit of any person or entity;
  • seeking to obtain orders or prospective customers for goods or services;
  • seeking to engage an individual in conversation at a residence for the purpose of promoting or facilitating the receipt of information regarding religious belief, political position, charitable conduct, or a home solicitation sale; 
  • other activities falling within the commonly accepted definition of soliciting, such as hawking or peddling.
Chapter 6.09.030(31)

What are Home Solicitation Sales?

It means to make or attempt to make a sale of goods or services by a solicitor at a residence by means of door-to-door solicitation, regardless of the:

  • means of payment or consideration used for the purchase;
  • time of delivery of the goods or services; or
  • previous or present classification of the solicitor as a solicitor, peddler, hawker, itinerant merchant or similar designation. Chaper 6.09.030 (20)


What is Door-to-Door Solicitation?

It means the practice of engaging in or attempting to engage in conversation with any person at a residence, whether or not that person is a competent individual, while making or seeking to make or facilitate a home solicitation sale, or attempting to further the sale of goods and or services.

Chapter 6.09.030(15)

Does my event require a Special Events Permit?

  • An event of any size on city property. This would include: parks, parking lots, streets and sidewalks.
  • An event with over 300 in attendance on private property.
If your event falls into either of these categories, you may need a Special Events Permit.
Read through the Special Events Permit Application Policies and Instructions to find out more.

If your event will be held in a park, please read through the Special Park Use Guidelines before filling out your application.

If your event will require a level of Public Safety Support (police/fire), please check the Calendar of Approved Events to see if an event has been approved for the day you are requesting. Only one event will be approved per day that requires Public Safety Support.

Note: There is no guarantee that your event will be approved. It is important you are aware that any fees paid at the time of application will not be refunded due to the cost associated with the necessary approval process.