Before You Apply With Provo City

Starting a new business can be both exciting and overwhelming. To help you navigate the process we've compiled a list of some steps you may need to take to establish a new business. 


  • Decide on a business name. You can read about name requirements here.
  • Find out the difference between DBA (doing business as) registration and other business registration
  • Determine the type of business organization: corporation, partnership, LLC, etc. 
  • Take a look at these helpful resources from the State here
  • Register your business with the State here. This will cover registration of your business name, a trademark (if needed) as well as registration with the following departments: Utah State Tax Commission, Utah Labor Commission, Utah Department of Commerce, Utah Department of Workforce Services, and Utah Department of Environmental Quality. 
  • Before purchasing or leasing a property, contact the Zoning Department to make sure your business will be in the correct zone, and to determine any permits needed. Your business--including home based businesses--must be located in the correct zone in order to obtain a license.
  • Home businesses: is your business a major or minor home occupation? Find out here
  • Do you need to remodel or make modifications to the building your business will occupy? Check for permit information and building requirements
  • Installing a sign? Check the Provo City sign ordinance
  • Apply for a sales tax number if needed. Not sure? Check here or contact the Utah State Tax Commission

Utah State Tax Commission

210 N 1950 W 

Salt Lake City, Utah

(801) 297-2200

Beer License PictureAlcohol License If your business serves, sells, or is in any way connected to alcohol use, you must have a beer license. Check the city code to learn about types of licenses and requirements, including business locations restrictions and applicant disqualifications. You can fill out a beer license application here


Businesses With Employees

  • Internal Revenue Service: You will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN, also called a federal tax number) in order to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax) payments for your employees. You can apply for this number in person at the Utah State Tax Commission or online with the IRS. 
  • State Tax Commission: You will need to get a Utah State Withholding Number in order to remit the State Tax you withhold from payroll. 
  • State Unemployment Insurance: Utah State unemployment insurance is required for companies with employees. For further information contact the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
  • Worker's Compensation Insurance is required of all employers. This insurance may be obtained from private companies or the State Insurance Fund. Contact the Worker's Compensation Fund of Utah

Workers Compensation Fund of Utah

199 W Towne Ridge Parkway

Sandy, Utah


family-in-front-of-new-homeRental Properties Rental dwellings have specific requirements for occupancy (how many people can live in the residence) location, etc. which must be met in order to be in compliance with city code. Contact the zoning department for rental dwelling requirements.